Cytracom has released a new version of our Desktop application, that includes a soft phone, so that you may make and receive calls from your computer without a physical desk phone to aid in supporting remote workers.
Cytracom Desktop lets you talk, text, fax, and see data from other tools—all from a single pane of glass. Start a dedicated conversation in a private room. Text a client or include them in a group chat. Best of all—customers can text you first, just as they would text anyone else. You can learn more about the Business Messaging terminology here.
- A new non-admin user must be setup as a user by their Cytracom admin. This person can easily invite users in one step from their Desktop, or manually add them instead as explained here: Adding a New User -- The admin must assign an extension to the user during this process.
- For Business Messaging specifically, a C2 Service Plan is required- all other features are available to all customers.
- A user's capability to include SMS messaging requires the user to have their own assigned phone number. A Cytracom admin can complete this process, as explained here: Assign a User to a Phone Number to Enable SMS
- The fax function requires a subscription before it becomes activated and available.
How to access Cytracom Desktop
Download the Desktop App here.
Or, Cytracom Desktop can be accessed via a Chrome browser at: https://desktop.cytracom.net/
- Login to the app with your Cytracom credentials- email address or phone number/extension and password.
- If a phone is associated with your line, you'll be asked if you'd like to use the physical phone or the computer audio for calls.
- Once logged in, you will see interoffice contacts on your left.
How to Enable Notifications
- Click on the lock icon next to the URL
- Choose which notifications to enable
- Select the user's profile avatar in the top left to see options
- Click on Preferences
- Choose your calling strategy - Computer or desk phone
- Change the avatar/profile picture here if desired
- Upload a profile picture
- Provide feedback or request new features for future development
The illuminated icons on the left side will allow you to navigate between voice communication, messaging, call center queues, and faxing.
- Avatar - One of three options:
- User's uploaded picture
- A stick figure indicating a person's account
- A phone for a phone line, perhaps shared or otherwise not connected to messaging
- Availability - The dot in the upper left corner of the icon is blue indicates user online in Cytracom app for messaging
- Phone status
- Green - Available
- Red - On the phone
Directly below your user icon on the left edge of the window is the Marketplace icon. Opening the marketplace allows you to view extensions available for the application that allow you to integrate directly with other database services you may already have access to. It is split into three areas:
- Upcoming Apps: Allows you to vote on apps you'd like to see integrated with the desktop in the future.
- Available Apps: Lists services we have available for integration with already that you are not using.
- My apps: Lists the services you have already integrated with.
Once an app is installed, it can be accessed from its icon on the right edge of the screen. Directions for installing and configuring each different integration are available in Cytracom's Help Center. When installed, the Cytracom Discover process makes it simple to call up everything your company knows about a contact as soon as you see the number or on a call, in the same application. No need to put them on hold as you look them up on other websites.
- Contacts - listing of interoffice contacts by extension
- My Calls - listing of entire call history displayed by default, but may be filtered by call type
- Voicemails - listing of voicemails with audio playback. Transcription will be displayed for users on the C2 plan when this option has been enabled in the system.
If using your computer as a softphone, use of a headset is always recommended for optimal audio quality.
The dial pad at the bottom left will allow a number to be manually entered or pasted. The small window has several controls overall:
- The numbers themselves can be clicked to enter the digits of a phone number.
- The search bar can have names or numbers typed directly in.
- When the desired name or number is in the bottom field, the green button starts the call.
- The book icon at the top opens a condensed version of the contact list, where clicking a name initiates a call.
- The gear icon at the top brings up the same preference menu as the user icon.
Placing a Call to a Contact
- Select the phone icon to the right of the contact name, or at the top right of a contact's profile to initiate a call
- Mousing over a name will reveal buttons for a call (phone handset) or both a call and a text message (talk bubble) depending on the capabilities of the account.
Expand an Active Call
While on an active call, the dialpad indicator changes to give active call information. Each of the icons is clickable for a function:
- The microphone mutes or unmutes your line.
- The pause symbol puts the caller on hold.
- The red headset ends the call.
- Clicking on the user, opens a fullscreen call menu that offers advanced call functions like adding a 3rd party or transferring a call. There are also audio controls for speakers and microphones in this fullscreen mode.
Transferring a Call
- While on an active call, expand the active call as explained above
- Click transfer
- Choose the contact you would like to transfer to
- The call will immediately transfer to the chosen destination
Adding a Call
- Adding a second call puts the first caller on hold. Each line will be shown via an icon on the desktop and you can switch between them with those icons.
The Messaging icon (a speech bubble) on the left border of the screen opens up your messaging history. From that list, you can review all the discussions stored there, continue those conversations, or start a new conversation. These conversations can be searched and filtered like the Call History earlier. Existing conversations will be with:
- One user: a messaging conversation. Mousing over the item in the history provides buttons to call the person or delete the history.
- multiple users: a conversation between multiple phone numbers or users that cannot be changed. You have the option of deleting a multiuser conversation but no call option exists.
- A room which persists at the creator's discretion but can have different members over time. The controls for a room vary depending on if you are the creator or member of the room.
- Edit Name: The pencil icon by the name of the room appears to the creator and can be used to change the name of the room.
- Options: The gear icon allows anyone to toggle notifications for messages in the room. It also allows the creator of the room to archive it and prevent future discussion.
- Member: The vertical dot icon allows changes to the room membership. Anyone can remove themselves from the room. The creator can also add or remove other members. (shown below)
To send a new message or create a room, click the Start a conversation button.
If it is a simple message for one or more users, add the names or numbers to the to field. If that user or group of users has a history, the new message will be appended to the existing conversation.
If you are creating a new room, check the Convert to room box. You are then prompted to name the room. People added to the To field are the initial members of the group, but as creator you can add more later.
In either case, type a message or add files via the text box at the bottom of the window and click the paper airplane to send the message.
Click on the Call Center icon, below Messaging, to view the call center queues. Note that this only applies if you have added call center agents to your Cytracom service. The queues you have setup will be displayed as tiles.
Click on any tile to expand that queue and view more details. You can view the real time queue summary, agent status, and the queue history. The red bubble around a given caller's wait time indicates that the call has exceeded the average hold or average talk time for that queue.
Click on the fax icon to initiate a fax or view fax history. You also have an option to include a cover page.
Note: Greyed out options throughout Desktop are features that will be available in upcoming releases.